Here’s an appetizer that I made on Valentine’s Day. I have had this in a few places and thought it was delicious!
What you need:
- 1 red beet
- 1 golden beet
- Balsamic Vinegar
- Goat Cheese
- Parmesan Cheese
How you do it:
Cook the beats.
- Peel them, half them, and place them in a pot so they are just covered with water.
- Place over medium heat and cook until fork tender.
- Remove the beets, let them cool, then cube them.
Make the balsamic honey reduction.
- Place about 1/2c of balsamic vinegar in a small pot over medium heat. Add 2-4 tablespoons of honey depending on how sweet you like it.
- Reduce until it’s about 1/2 of it’s original volume. Pay close attention here as this might boil over if left alone for too long.
Make the Parmesan crisps.
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper and preheat the oven to 325F.
- Take about 1/2c of Parmesan cheese and make 6 nicely spaced piles on the cookie sheet.
- Cook for 8-10 minutes until just slightly browned.
- Remove from stove and let cool to become more rigid.
- Find a nice plate.
- Put a good handful of arugula down.
- Sprinkle some cubed beets around.
- Flake some goat cheese over the top.
- Using a fork, dip the prongs into the reduction then drizzle fancy little lines all over the place.
- Take 2 Parmesan crisps and lean them up against each other anchoring them in the bed of arugula.